Ilyana will help you explore both the art and business of commercial voice-over. From finding your marketable niche in your voice, how to analyze a voice over script before you record a reel or audition and how to take direction and make adjustments in vocal tone and tempo in an audition. She will also cover: what kinds of voice over work is out there and how to get it, making reels, agents, online submissions and union vs. non union work. With plenty of time for your questions!
WHO IS ILYANA
Ilyana Kadushin is an award winning narrator (Twilight Saga, Star Wars, Dune) and a voice performer in all media.
She is also a music and film producer (2011 HBO Best Documentary Prize for Separate, But Equal) at her company Lythion Music and founder of Stories Love Music Inc., a non profit that uses music and story telling with elders with Alzheimer’s and their care givers. She has taught at New York University’s Tisch School of the Arts, The New School and Heidi Marshall Studio.
WHY I HAVE INVITED ILYANA TO TEACH
- I love this lady! She is so warm and thoughtful and philosophical and practical! A perfect combo of a teacher in my studio.
- I want to see you develop ALL tools as an actor to empower you on sets and stages.
- I want you to feel connected in your voice.
- I trust Ilyana’s expert hands with your process of accessing your voice. I have seen her work and coach for years (I encouraged The New School to hire her for their MFA program!). I find her to be a really special, supportive guide.
- I want you to be able to pull out a performance of a lifetime on your next gig, using all of your talents and skills.
When you are alone in your process, when I am not there sitting on your shoulder coaching you, I want you to know how to access your deeper self in your work. Working on all aspects of your acting only supports the whole. The voice is an incredible, and often overlooked, tool as an Actor.
Let your world of acting expand by discovering and exploring the power of your own voice.
YOU WILL WORK ON:
THE ART: working with VO scripts from different categories of advertising in audition scenarios and playing with the different tones they require.
THE BUSINESS: Conversation and Q&A covering all aspects of business of voice-over and how to break in. This will be incredibly thorough – she has been doing it for about 20 years after all!
HIGHLIGHTS WILL INCLUDE:
- Where do you fit in this VO world? On your feet in audition scenarios and with Iyana’s direction, pinpoint your marketable niche in the voice-over marketplace.
- How can you nail a VO audition? Learn how to analyze a voice over script in 3 ways: based on it’s category in advertising, it’s target audience and the desired tone of performance needed.
- How can you make a strong VO reel? You will leave knowing what kind of material to have on your VO reel.
- How is your voice dextrous? Understanding the mechanics of your own voice and the many facets of emotional tones.
- How does this niche of the biz work? She will go over all types of voice performance as well voice-over marketplace
A variety of group and solo exercises will be about exploring and revealing your natural/default voice – your voice that you use in conversation. Ilyana will coach material the actor has prepared in advance to reveal where you are now vocally and where you can go.
You made that performance possible, quite frankly. I was really intimidated and riddled with doubt. As embarrassed as I was to be lost when I entered your space, you did a terrific job of being compassionate, specific and clear.
- Orange Is The New Black Guest Star
[American Idol Winner] Fantasia unleashes with a feeling of connection to the dramatic moment.
- New York Times Review Private Acting Coach to Fantasia for Broadway’s THE COLOR PURPLE
“I think that was my best audition for a Broadway show. There’s no question that I was in control of my own audition. I knew from CD’s response that she had received what I shared. I’m excited to work a little differently and more healthfully in future audition situations.
- Brittney Morello www.brittneymorello.com
“Heidi is the lady to go to!! I use her convenient skype sessions to make sure I’m super ready for auditions and I went to her AFTER I booked Red Oaks to make sure I would show up on set guns-a-blazin.
- Alexandra Turshen Amazon’s series RED OAKS alexandraturshen.com
I wanted to say thank you again for taking the time to meet with me on Sunday! I just had my audition and I really genuinely felt like it went very well. I employed all of your tips (including getting a blow out before!) and it made me so confident going in to the audition.
- Comfort Clinton www.imdb.com/name/nm5472725/
You are an amazing teacher and I’ve learned and gained so much about myself as an actor as well as a business. I know this is truly the beginning for me. I have so much more to do and so much further to go but for once I feel excited and equipped for the journey [when I graduate]. There’s a sense of feeling more grounded and in anticipation of exploring ME in this journey rather than living for the outcome. Thank you for that!!!
- Stephanie McBee A.C.T. MFA www.stephaniemcbee.com
Coaching ’twas very helpful and all went well. Even when I half-forgot my second line, I was able to just breathe and roll with it since we prepped so nicely!
- Nina Covalesky www.ninacovalesky.com
I genuinely feel I learned so many tips and techniques from just working with you in that one session. I felt like I had a mini acting crash course. It’s so important to stay fresh, and I can’t thank you enough! You’ve definitely changed the way I will look at sides from now on, as well as cold reading.
- Katie Dixon http://encompassarts.com/artist/katie-dixon/
Thank you for making auditioning fun and not terrifying!
- Ingrid Vollset www.ingridvollset.com
Thanks SO much for your help with this audition. I’m really happy with my takes.
- Carmen Gil carmengil.com
I wanted to thank you for everything you taught me. So much clicked in with this audition that I just booked. I can’t really put into words what clicked, but it sure did.
- Bruce Fuller
Audition went incredibly well. It was a very necessary and joyous win for me. I left the room swimming in tears of joy and relief; I felt like I had finally returned to that creative lovely place I was in during school and had missed since graduating.
- David Siciliano www.davidsiciliano.com
You gave me the shot of adrenaline I needed, now to stay on Cloud 9.
- David Martin
And, may I say, thank you so much!!! I can’t tell you how grateful I am for you helping me get through that block that I have had for years. I really communicated with my singing today – and it was such a huge breakthrough for me. I look forward to carrying that connection with me into all of my auditions. So, thank you a million times.
- Gabrielle Sterbenz www.gabriellesterbenz.com/
“I wanted to let you know that I felt really great about my audition today. I was more relaxed than I’ve been in a long time, and really focused on the characters. Funnily enough, my reader was mouthing my lines along with me, but I focused on using that annoyance as part of my character’s annoyance. I even made the casting director laugh. It was great to be able to separate the audition from the result with the realization that even if I don’t get the part, I had fun in the room.
- Melle Powers
A heart-felt thanks for your wonder-full bedside manner in yesterday’s coaching. I left renewed in my commitment to be part of the solution, etc. Took some bold actions today as a direct result of our talk/coaching.
- Wendy Allegeart www.wendyallegeart.com
Once again in a short hour you inspired and change my life for the better! You rock! Being motivated to finally be the artist I’ve dreamed of is amazing!
- Vince Vincent www.vincebvincent.com
Guess who booked the movie!?” ME!! All thanks to YOU!!! Best coach ever! I’m a lucky gal!
- Samantha Massell www.samanthamassell.com
I don’t think I have ever auditioned so well. Thank you for all of your help! There really is nothing better than feeling prepared. Then your nervousness has the chance to turn into excitement (which makes this fun- and that’s why we do it, right?!) instead of morphing into worry
- Arlene Chico-Lugo www.arlenechicolugo.com
Heidi embraces each entity of the audition process with careful directness, providing an atmosphere which encourages the Actor, Writer, Camera and, yes, even Casting Director, to ‘do their own thing’ to the max!
- Ellyn Long Marshall Orpheus Group Casting